5 Facts About May's Birthstone: Extravagent Emeralds
Emerald, the stone of successful love!
Emeralds are the traditional birthstone for May, so we at Silver Cove want to spread a little "successful love" ourselves by sharing some fun facts and information about this vibrant and popular Gemstone!
- Emeralds are a variety of the mineral Beryl that has been colored green by amounts of chromium, and occasionally, by vanadium.
- Beryl has a Mohs Hardness level of 7.5 to 8, making Emerald one of the hardest minerals on earth (Diamonds being a 10 on the Mohs Scale).
- The deeper the green color, the more valuable the Emerald; with pale green Emeralds being worth less than the darker ones.
- Emeralds are notorious for their "flaws" and high levels of inclusions. Some actually prefer an Emerald with flaws as it can be used to prove authenticity!
- Emeralds are known as the "Stone of Successful Love" because they are commonly associated with bringing domestic bliss and loyalty to a relationship or marriage.
And there we have 5 facts about Emeralds! Can't get enough of these gleaming green wonders? Why not check out some more Emeralds here!